Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Normal or Special?

by some sheer coincident, I ended up receiving notification letters to apply for a new IC as well as a passport at the same time. it really saved me of a day having to go back for another document and at this time, I must say that I am very impressed with the efficient of ICA! Not so sure about those who didn't make an appointment but for me who did, I managed to collect both documents at separate offices in the building all within 30 minutes!

so when I was there, my queue number flashed on the screen and I proceed to the counter. while I was a few steps away, a mother and her kid reached the next booth beside. each booth was only assigned one seat, so the mum sat down on it, and the boy just proceed to drag the seat at my booth to the booth his mum is at. so when I reach the booth one second later, he stared at me. I don't dare to say I know how to read people very well, but I thought it was a look of I-don't-care-whether-it-is-your-seat-or-not. he then proceed to rest his head on the booth as the mum continues to talk to the customer service person, either oblivion to what her son has did, or chose to ignore. I want to think it is the latter as it is very obvious each booth only has one seat, and im obviously (and im not short) standing at the counter when everyone else is seated.

im quite happy giving up my seat for someone else, I really don't mind having to stand, especially when I wasn't expecting to be there long in the first place. But I also believe that such things shouldn't be taken for granted. either it is up to the person to give up his seat, or the other person to ask for the seat. and even more, im someone who believes that parents should teach their kids the proper way to do this, and not leave them to do whatever they like.

as i was thinking of what to say to the kid and the mum, it is then I noticed that the boy was wearing a tshirt of a school for autistic kids. immediately, I decided to not say anything, and even told the customer service person that im ok standing and she doesn't have to ask the kid to return the seat.

I couldn't help but think though. how are people suppose to treat them. do we accept that they are different, and give special allowances for them? or do we treat them as we do for everyone, and hopefully they will learn and someday fit into society?

No comments:

Post a Comment