Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

what is the secret formula to sensible people (part 1)

it's just a thought that just popped out after an exchange of thank yous between me and the drinks store uncle. it occured to me then how rare thank yous are expressed in this country. there was even a advertisement going around portraying the everyday Singapore, people do not acknowledge those who give up their seats for them, to those for hold the lift door open. it goes beyond just th lack of graciousness but a serious case of self centeredness. habitual late comers, jaywalkers who conciously make an attempt to slow down when vehicles come towards them, so that drivers have no choice but to stop the car. the list never ends.

i look at myself, though im not perfect and i do lose my temper and rant, i find myself wondering why is it that there are some basic things that seem to common sense, are lost upon many. giving way to alighting passengers, queueing up to get into the lift.

i would like to say upbringing may be one reason, but that may only be a slice of the pie. i examine my own life, and having grow up in a family where my not very educated parents earn enough to make sure their 4 boys have enough to eat, a shelter over the head, and a bed to sleep in. we cannot afford yearly family holiday trips, in fact, my family has never travelled together other than one weekend when i was 8, where we went to kuala lumpur for my great grandmother's birthday. nothing is a certainty, every want has to be earned through hard work and savings. comparing myself to kids whose parents buy the world for them, and they dont have to do anything themselves, i cant say im all surprised they grow up to be self centered people, who expects the whole world to serve them.

saying that, i must admit there are many other reasons to how someone grows up, same parents, same environment, my brothers and i are very different.

oh well.. till the next time something comes into my head..

No comments:

Post a Comment